Lincoln High School

Tacoma, WA

Lincoln High School, originally built in 1913, stood as a classic example of the large, comprehensive high school, with classrooms aligned on wide, double-loaded corridors. In 2001, the school received a grant from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and Capital Projects Bond funding to convert to a “small schools” design.

The full scope of work spans the comprehensive renovation, restoration, and modernization of the original building; the addition of 34,000 GSF of instructional and support space; and the overall transformation into a "small schools" environment housing three learning academies - all of this, while retaining the historic architectural character of this community landmark.